Wednesday, April 4, 2007

All Hail the Harlot

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee (the Yarn Harlot) has done it again. Stephanie Pearl-McPhee Casts Off is a must-have travel guide to the land of knitters and knitting. This isn't the book to give to the uninitiated if your intention is to convince them that those of us who are into "this string thing" aren't a tad bit odd. But your favorite knitter will thank you profusely. Then he or she will ask you to read aloud to them so they can keep knitting while enjoying the book.

Prominent in the Health Warnings chapter is a section on the dreaded "Second Sock Syndrome," with a very enlightening discussion of the symptoms, treatment, and prognosis for the Viral, Bacterial, and Malignant strains of this affliction. With the author's help, I have diagnosed myself with a recurring Viral SSS infection, rather like this cold I can't quite shake off. Second socks do eventually get knit, but I have been known to give one sock for Christmas and its mate for Mother's Day.

I can't wait to read the Knitting Sports chapter. At last, I might find a sport I can appreciate.

No comments: